Sunday, May 31, 2015

Contentment

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that."
1 Timothy 6:6-8

Contentment. The true picture of it. Food and clothing? That's it Lord? Like a cute new dress from Target and maybe a sushi dinner or whatever I feel like I want to eat? How many times have I asked myself "What do I feel like eating?" or "What do I want to wear today?". The true picture of contentment is just the food and clothing without the option. Even if I was limited to only food and clothing but had the choice of any food or clothing I wanted, could I be content with that? No beautiful home, nice car, Iphone, Starbucks, 401k, emergency fund, or farmhouse dining table? 

This last week the word contentment has resonated in my heart and head over and over again. When the desire to go, see, eat, shop, buy overwhelms me, the gentle voice of the Holy Spirit whispers one word to me- contentment. Am I truly walking in it? When I pray for more more more, am I really ok if the Lord requires that I live on less? Some people look at my life and ask themselves "What more could she ask for?" And you know what- they are so right! And yet, I do ask for more. All the time. 

This 2015 year is the year the Lord is teaching me contentment. To enjoy the current rhythm and flow of my life and not try to jump ahead to the next thing. To truly soak in the beauty of the deposits I'm making in heaven instead of deposits on earth. Because truly, I'll take none of it with me. Not my refinished sideboard or my 50% off Old Navy dress. We had 7 people baptized at church this morning and I thought to myself- this is it. This is what I'm here for. To know Christ- to know Him fully, to know His word and His voice and carry his character around with me. To know the people that He made and to love them. And to share His goodness. To make Him known. To watch people for the rest of my life be renewed and made whole in the life that Jesus Christ has for them. That is true contentment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment