Monday, May 16, 2016

Gift Ideas For The New Mom

Having a baby is a time in your life where everyone around you is eager to help. Let them! You are overjoyed and happy yet so fragile and emotional and need encouragement right now... and presents never hurt! Seeing as I am currently living the new mom status, I consider myself a pretty good resource for the best gifts to get us! Here are a few practical gift ideas and ways to help the new mom in your life:

1. A water cup-
Those first few weeks I chugged water like my life depended on it. I was thirsting for some water like I was in a dry and weary land and this cup still lives on my nightstand. Even if you don't want to get this one- a cute cup to constantly refill makes a great gift for a new mom who's working on feeding another tiny human. 



2. A clothing gift card-
Austin gifted me with a lululemon gift card for my "push" present (more like cut open and pulled out present haha), but either way... it was awesome! Encourage that new mom to go buy herself some in-between clothes that make her feel beautiful. Mom's- just go buy new jeans. It may be a while before you can fit back into your pre-pregnancy clothing and trying to shimmy into your old jeans is depressing. Remind her that she is beautiful and not to be hard on herself. For goodness sakes you just had another human life taken out of your human body. Can we all just give ourselves a big giant break and buy bigger jeans?!

3. A Chick-Fil-A gift card-
This should not need an explanation. If I told you I sometimes eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner would you believe me? #sorrynotsorry

4. Snack basket-
Maybe I'm the only one, but I get so enamored with my little love bug sometimes I forget to eat and go from feeling like a Disney princess to an angry, hungry ogre. Buy her some kind bars, cliff bars, snicker bars, or whatever she likes and encourage her to keep one with her at all times. My mom made us a big snack basket with all kinds of grab and go snacks to keep on the counter. Cute baskets are my jam and a new mom can never have enough to hold all of the tiny little things that come with a tiny little human. 

5. Candles-
With a new baby you will be home a lot. My typical routine the first few days would be bed, shower, couch, bed, couch, bed. I love a cozy home and nothing makes a home cozier then a candle. Lighting a candle and playing some soft music is a great way to destress from the stressful moments and here's one of my favorites...


6. House cleaning service-
Oh man, this is a good one! For our baby gift my parents hired a professional cleaning service to come in and clean my house. Oh wow this was awesome. I left my house to go to Target and came home to sparkling floors and perfect vacuum lines. In heaven I hope there are perfect vacuum lines that never fade when you walk on them! Seriously my mom is a genius and this may be one of the best things you could get new parents. 

7. Encouragement-
This is definitely the most important one and if you do nothing else, do this. Hold all of your well-meaning advice in for now and instead, offer a word of encouragement. I have never felt more fragile and vulnerable then I did when Jace first came. It was so intense and emotional discovering the new love that a mom feels. You so badly want to do right by your kids and are so scared to mess it all up. Tell her she's an amazing mom. Tell her she's beautiful. Tell her she is doing a wonderful job. Tell her all the time. New dad's- this one is so important. She needs to hear this from you. And new mom's- you need to reciprocate this to your husbands. Support each other and extend more grace then you thought possible. Let each other do it your own way and don't micromanage each other. Encourage, encourage and encourage some more. 

Remind that new mom over and over again to soak this time in. I here it almost every day- this season is short, soak it up! I love hearing that because I tell myself that every day. Don't wish this time away because you never get it back. Soak up those newborn snuggles, drink your water, light your candle, and keep people around you that tell you that you are a beautiful, amazing momma! 

No comments:

Post a Comment