Friday, May 13, 2016

My First Mother's Day and 26th Birthday

I really really love the beach. My maid of honor at my wedding told Austin that if I he ever doubted how to surprise me to stick to the basics... coffee, shopping, and the beach. I have been dying to get to the beach pretty much since we left the beach last year. There is just something about the sound of the waves and the view of the ocean that sets my heart at peace. I see God's presence and creativity all over the place when I'm at the beach and all of the important things in life become more crystal clear. Knowing all of this about me, Austin surprised me for my first Mother's Day and my 26th birthday by taking me to Gulf Shores just the three of us.  

Friday afternoon we set out in the car with our little buddy boy and a car full of stuff. How does one tiny person take up so much trunk space? Jace was a champ in his carseat and we stopped twice to eat and were there in time to see the sunset. 



Saturday morning Jace and I were up early and I thought to myself that having a baby has it's perks when these are your views for early morning feedings...



We laid around for a while relaxing on the porch and letting Jace nap on our chests. The sound of the waves had that little boy snoozing hard and he slept so much all weekend. I am convinced he has my love for the ocean already running through his veins. 





We went down to the beach around 11 and set up for the day. We got this awesome tent that pops up in one step and was the perfect nap spot for us. If you have a baby or just like having some shade at the beach, I would highly recommend it. It's super lightweight and easy to set up and made all the difference for taking a newborn to the beach for us. Jace napped while I listened to my audiobook and Austin fished. We headed in early and went to dinner at 4pm because we are old. One of the best parts about having a baby is that they are a built in excuse to go to bed early and not stay out late. We headed back to the beach after dinner for Austin to fish and Jace and I snuggled. We both imagined the days when Jace will be out fishing with Austin but I sure will miss these sweet baby snuggles. That night we came back to the condo and watched movies and gave Jace his first sink bath which was so fun!









The next morning was my birthday and another beautiful morning watching the sunrise and relaxing on the porch. Austin got me a yeti cup which I am truly obsessed with. I haven't stopped using it in a week straight and love how cold it keeps my water. We went down to the beach for a little while again and then came back in for the Hawks game where we were reminded of the chronic disappointment of being an Atlanta Sports fan. All I wanted for my birthday/Mother's Day dinner was to eat as much pizza as I wanted and to snuggle on the couch with my boys. It was absolutely perfect. 




The first few weeks with a new baby are spent with all of the people you love the most surrounding you. It is a constant flow of family and friends in your house and truly some of the sweetest days. But there was something so special about having a few days with just the three of us. There comes a point in your marriage where your husband is more of your "home" then your parents and you realize that your family unit has changed. That feeling has magnified since having Jace and makes me crave time with just Jace and Austin. It was an incredible weekend and I'm so glad we took our little baby to the beach for the first time. He is at the perfect stage to travel with as much as he sleeps and I'm thinking we will have to plan a few more family trips for this summer! 






No comments:

Post a Comment